A year’s cycling trip around the world as a family was the idea that emerged very spontaneously at the end of 2021.
We are not great adventurers, nor even globe-trotters, and this is the first time we are going abroad as a family.
The possibility of taking a break in our lives, opening up to new encounters and other cultures, shaking up our certainties, finding ourselves as a family, living an itinerant experience… this is what motivated our project.
It’s decided, we’re leaving on August 1st 2022 from Embrun (Hautes Alpes) for a trip that we envisage in 4 stages:
- Europe (crossing the Po plain, down the Adriatic coast through the Balkans and to Athens)
- South East Asia (route between Cambodia, Laos and Thailand)
- South East Australia (Melbourne -> Brisbane)
- North America (circuit to be defined around the west coast of the continent).
We will be equipped with 2 Pino HASE tandems, which offer a semi-recumbent front position for the child, and a classic seated rear position for the adult.
Read more about the preparation of the project: blog post
We opted for the bicycle:
- for the feeling of freedom it gives,
- for the potential it offers to meet people,
- for the simplicity it represents,
- for the material sobriety it requires,
- and for a thousand and one other reasons…
Églantine – 4 years old: bubbly and cheerful, the youngest of the team will follow her Grande Section of nursery school on the trip. She likes: animals and unicorns. She doesn’t like: storms. What she dreams of experiencing on this trip: seeing kangaroos in Australia!
Timéo – 6 years old: sensitive and attentive, the big brother will follow the CP class on the trip. He likes: space, the solar system, and trains. He doesn’t like: black pudding.
Prêle – 38 years old: Queen of organisation and interim teacher, she left a happy team of accountants (no, no, it’s not an oxymoron) to carry out this trip project.
Laurent – 39: In charge of the itinerary, he took advantage of the end of a professional mission to get ahead of the mid-life crisis.